A scholarship fund has been created in the name of Stephen C. Massey to acknowledge Foxboro High School music students who have exhibited the qualifications of leadership, scholarship, musicianship, and mentorship. The successful candidate would reflect the culture of excellence that has been established in the Foxborough High School Music Department under the direction of Stephen C. Massey.
Mr. Massey served as the Music Director and Band Director from 1980 until his retirement in 2017. Under his direction, the Foxborough Music Department developed into one of the premiere public school music programs in the United States. The FHS Music ensembles performed in concerts, festivals, and tours while commissioning over 25 new pieces. The curriculum was based on studying masterworks of the highest quality. Guest Artists and Composers became a cornerstone of the program. Student leadership courses helped develop a very distinctive “culture of excellence.”
The following two quotes sum up the philosophy of the culture:
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle.
“A leader is one who does what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether they
want to do it or not” – Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser.
The purpose of the scholarship is to acknowledge students who have exhibited these qualities in their everyday life as demonstrated through selfless giving, inspiration, dedication, and hard work.
Criteria for Candidate Award Selection
- A graduating senior(s) who has been an active participant in the FHS Music Program
- Student(s) who will be attending a 4-year College or University
- Applicants will be evaluated by the following criteria:
- Demonstrates strong leadership by acting as an exceptional mentor to peers
- Exhibits a strong work ethic
- Shows personal integrity
- Demonstrates maturity and responsibility
- Is a strong musical contributor who provides positive modeling for the entire musical ensemble
- Understands and helps promote the “culture of the music department,” both in the department and throughout the school community
- Applications will be evaluated by the FPS Music Department Chair and two designated FHS music faculty members
- Scholarship award amount or number of awards is at the discretion of the committee.
Application — DUE BY APRIL 20, 2018
In a 400 -500-word essay:
Describe how you have achieved several of the values set forth in the application criteria. In what specific ways do you feel that your experiences in the FHS Music Program exemplify these qualities?
Please use the form below to submit your application. DO NOT use your school email as we are unable to send email to student email addresses. After submitting your application, you should immediately receive an email with a copy of your application. If you do not receive this email, please contact Karen Wheatley.